Below is a selection of our Authors’ Biographies along with the titles they have produced for us.
Archie Bell was born and educated in Stranraer and after completing his National Service he entered the family butchery and bakery business in the town. Following his retiral from the business he was for seven years a Business Adviser with Dumfries and Galloway Enterprise Company. Involved in many local organisations, he has been Commodore of Loch Ryan Sailing Club, President of Stranraer Rotary Club and President of Wigtownshire Antiquarian Society.
James Blair, Andrew Hannay and James Sproule
This book was published to mark the Stranraer Golf Club's centenary, celebrated in
2005. The first ninety years, covering the foundation of the Club, the search for
a course, its enlargement, the building of a clubhouse, the loss of both to wartime
needs and the subsequent move to a new course and home are all carefully and authoritatively
traced by James Blair and Andrew Hannay, long standing members. It was to their
Trevor Boult, a Geordie, experienced the thrill of his early crossings of the North Channel as a lad going to visit the family farm in Antrim. He now relates the crossing as a ship's officer, telling us the inside story.
Don't Plague the Ferryman (NOW OUT OF PRINT)
John S. Boyd
Johnny was born in Newark, New Jersey, after his parents had emigrated to the United States but he regarded Glasgow, to which the family had quickly returned, as his home. After starting his journalistic career with the Glasgow Evening Citizen, he came to Stranraer in the early 1930s and his association with the Free Press lasted almost 50 years, 18 of them as editor. In 1967 he wrote a history of Stranraer to mark the 350th anniversary of the Royal Burgh and in 2000 it was updated by three History Trust members: Jack Hunter, Donnie Nelson and Christine Wilson.
Norman spent his boyhood in Stranraer where he attended Stranraer High School. Having joined the Air Training Corps while at school, his first flight as a boy was over Lochryan. At age 19 Norman was called up to join the RAF and the book relates his wartime experiences. On demobilisation he joined the family furniture business in Stranraer then owned a furniture shop in Newton Stewart until his retirement.
Bill Gill came to Stranraer in the early 1960s as principal teacher of History at the High School later Stranraer Academy. His interests included walking and a practical interest in the research of local history which were combined to produce this book. Unfortunately Bill died before his book was published.
The Cairnryan Military Railway (NOW OUT OF PRINT)
John R. Hume
John Hume was a lecturer in Economic and Industrial History at the University of Strathclyde for 20 years. He then went on to become a Principal Inspector of Ancient Monuments, then of historic buildings with Historic Scotland before finally retiring as Chief Inspector of Historic Buildings in 1999.
Jack Hunter who is a Gallovidian by birth spent most of his teaching career as Head of English at Stranraer High School, later Stranraer Academy. For many years he lectured on Galloway literature and history for Glasgow University Department of Adult and Continuing Education. Mr Hunter is an author of several publications on local history.
A Galloway Man among "the Few" (NOW OUT OF PRINT)
The Friendly Invaders (NOW OUT OF PRINT)
David Kirkwood was born in Garlieston where he spent his childhood years. He left the area in 1956 to follow a career in the police service with Dumfries and Galloway Constabulary, retiring in 1990 with the rank of Superintendent and Commander of the Galloway Division of the force. Following a brief spell in retirement, David went into business as a consultant in the maritime and aviation security field, which he pursued until 2005. His love of the village where he had spent his childhood years had not deserted him and he has researched the history of the Garlieston area, encompassing the old parishes of Kirkmadryne and Cruggleton, resulting in the publication of his book ‘Garlieston – Emergence of a Village’.
Glasgow’s Galloway School (NOW OUT OF PRINT)
Garlieston – Emergence of a Village (NOW OUT OF PRINT)
His interest in coastal shipping started while he was working on the Clyde steamers during his undergraduate days. This led to his continuing interest in researching the history of shipping on the west coast of Scotland and this is his latest book. Fraser MacHaffie is now Professor of Accounting and Management at Marietta College in Ohio, USA.
Portpatrick to Donaghadee -
John 'Jack' MacQueen spent much of his working life at Edinburgh University where he eventually became Professor of Scottish Literature and Oral Tradition, and Director of the School of Scottish Studies. He has written and edited a number of books and articles, mainly on Scottish subjects. Having spent his boyhood holidays with his maternal grandparents in Port Logan, for nearly forty years he has had a house in the Rhinns, where he now lives permanently.
Bill McCormack began his working career in the Clydesdale Bank, Stranraer, before being called to wartime service. On demobilisation he agreed to join the family firm of William McCormack and Sons Ltd., the third generation to join the family firm which served Wigtownshire well from 1871 until 1986, providing agricultural, building and coal supplies and a busy shipping agency. He enjoyed a leisurely retirement following his interests in music, painting and writing. Bill died in 2006.
Every Beach a Port (NOW OUT OF PRINT)
Professor Charles McNeil
Professor McNeil, a specialist in childhood ailments, was born in Stranraer in 1881. While his family moved to Edinburgh when he was five, from the summer of 1893 for several years Charles and his brother spent school holidays at Sandmill Farm, Sandhead. In 1955 he felt the urge to put on record his memories of childhood days and later working holidays spent in the Rhins of Galloway. These were published in book form in the Free Press. This new edition has been edited by the Trust Chairman, Donnie Nelson, who has added explanatory notes and early photographs.
Dr Jane Murray
Dr Murray was Chairman of the Whithorn Trust and is a commissioner of the Royal Commission on Ancient Historical Monuments of Scotland. She has been keenly interested in the archaeology of the Wigtownshire moors and wrote her dissertation on the subject as a mature student.
Donnie Nelson who was born and educated in Stranraer spent 40 years of his working life with the Stranraer and Wigtownshire Free Press acting as part time reporter and contributor to the paper as well as various other duties. For almost 20 years he produced a weekly column which illustrated the history of people and places in Stranraer and the Rhins of Galloway. He served as a local Councillor for many years and in 1997 was appointed M.B.E. for services to housing. Mr Nelson is the active Chairman of Stranraer and District Local History Trust.
A Peep at Stranraer's Past (NOW OUT OF PRINT)
Sandy Rankin was brought up in Portpatrick before moving to Central Scotland as a youth. He followed a career with Strathclyde Police. Over the years he has spent much of his leisure time in Portpatrick, has an abiding interest in the lifeboat service and learned as a schoolboy of the air crash from his grandfather and uncle, crew members of the lifeboat. Over many years he researched the story of the disaster and the people involved.
The Rhinns' Forgotten Air Disaster (NOW OUT OF PRINT)
William Todd who was parish schoolmaster of Kirkmaiden from 1798 until 1845 wrote,
at the age of 80, this Statistical, Historical and Miscellaneous Memoranda of the
Parish. The original handwritten manuscript was loaned by Todd's great, great, great
granddaughter Katy Clachan who gave permission for the publication of the book. This
important document has been transcribed by Christine Wilson and has been reproduced,
word for word, including Todd's variations in spelling and old forms of place-
Tom McCreath (a boy of ten when war broke out in 1939) was born at Broughton Mains Farm, Sorbie in Wigtownshire and joined his father in the farming business in 1948 after completing his National Service. Later on he farmed at Garlieston Home Farm. He served as a member of Wigtown County Council and after local government reorganisation as a member of Wigtown District Council. Following retirement he became very involved with the Whithorn Trust and in local history in general. He was formerly a Deputy Lieutenant of Wigtownshire and has always had a great interest in music.
The Friendly Invaders (NOW OUT OF PRINT)
John Scoular was born at Glasserton in Wigtownshire and began his career in journalism with the Galloway Gazette. While employed by the Evening Standard in Edinburgh he was head hunted by the Mirror Group and for some time was employed as a journalist in Fleet Street. He returned to his native Galloway in 1968 when he purchased the Queens Arms Hotel in the Isle of Whithorn and later he acquired the Steam Packet Hotel. John has been actively involved in the local community in the “Isle” and served as chairman of the Isle of Whithorn Community Council for a number of years. He acted as spokesperson for some of the bereaved families in the Solway Harvester disaster.
The Friendly Invaders (NOW OUT OF PRINT)